We’re kicking off a new season of the podcast with a discussion about internships.
Over the past year we have noticed an uptick in articles related to internships and lawsuits, which got us to thinking, How much do we really know about internships and the law? The answer, not much, which is why we invited expert employment lawyer and author, Donna Ballman, to help us make sense of what is happening and understand what a proper internship should be.
If you are one of the many people who will be interning this Summer, this is the show that you need to listen to.
Gabrielle and Kia
Show Notes | Date of Taping: 4/13/2014
- 00:21 – 06:02 – Welcome! Yep, we were interns once. Congrats to Dan Evans!
- 06:02 – 06:32 – Show Promo
- 06:33 – 10:26 – We welcome our guest. What does an employment lawyer do?
- 10:32 – 13:24 – Are unpaid interns considered employees? What about sexual harassment and discrimination laws?
- 13:25 – 16:42 – Social media and unpaid internships. An example of a bad classified adCrazy internship ads.
- 16:43 – 17:13 – Musical Break (Dance people!)
- 17:15 – 25:41 – 2008 recession and the call for unpaid interns. Learn what your rights are.
- 25:42 – 26:11 – Show Promo
- 26:12 – 31:59 – What to do before taking on an unpaid internship. Thinking of suing? Donna drops some resources on us. Anti-bullying generation and the workplace.
- 32:00 – 32:27 – Musical Break (This is a groovy tune w/tambourines!)
- 32:28 – 33:55 – Goodbye Donna.
- 32:00 – 32:27 – Musical Break (It’s spy funk)
- 34:23 – 35:40 – Sign off. Thanks for listening!
Closing show music credit: Macroform
Guest Information – Donna Ballman
Follow Donna on Twitter
Read Donna’s Blog
Listen to Donna’s podcast
Donna’s Law Firm
Read Donna’s book, Stand Up For Yourself Without Getting Fired…
Read Donna’s other book, The Writer’s Guide to the Courtroom:Let’s Quill All the Lawyers (Get It Write)
Mayor de Blasio Signs Bill Protecting New York’s Unpaid Interns From Sexual Harassment (Source: Newsweek)
The Fight to Protect Unpaid Interns Against Sexual Harassment (Source: Newsweek)
When Experience Pays: Paid vs. Unpaid Internships (Source: Department of Labor)
How the Labor Department Has Let Companies Off the Hook for Unpaid Internships (Source:ProPublica)
Opportunity Costs: The True Price of Internships (Source:Dissent Magazine)
3 Major Internship Lawsuits (Source: Property Casualty 360)
Labor Dept., for First Time, Intervenes on Behalf of Unpaid Interns (Source: AllGov.com)
A Former Intern Who Sued Fox Speaks Out (Source: KCRW – ‘The Business’)
Sued Over Pay, Condé Nast Ends Internship Program (Source: The New York Times)